Low Back Pain2020-05-19T00:59:49+00:00

LOW BACK PAIN 

Low back pain is a common condition and a leading cause of healthcare cost in the world. More than 80% of people will experience some kind of low back episode during their lifetime and are then likely to have recurrent episodes.

In 90% of cases, low back pain can be attributed to what is referred to in research as a ‘non-specific’ cause. That is, it cannot be reliably linked to damage to individual structures on a scan such as an X-ray or MRI. In the remaining 10% of cases, low back pain may be due to a more specific cause that can be linked to scan findings such as a compressed nerve in the spine from a disc or bone spur, a fracture, an inflammatory disorder or cancer. Low back pain from serious pathology is very rare.

The role of your Physiotherapist is to:

  • Firstly, screen for serious medical issues that could be causing your pain and refer you on to further appropriate medical care including scans if required (again, this is rare!);
  • Secondly, identify whether you are at a low or high risk of having ongoing issues based on your particular presentation, and;
  • Thirdly, recommend how much treatment you do or don’t need, help you make sense of your low back pain and then tailor a recovery program to fit your personal circumstances to help get you back moving and reduce your chances of having issues in the future.

Your Physiotherapist may ask about:

  • Recent changes to your activities including work and sport
  • Medical and injury history
  • Other factors that have been linked to low back pain episodes including sleep, stress levels and general health

They will also assess your posture, movement and perform appropriate tests to help identify ways to improve your symptoms and help you manage your pain.

Your treatment may include:

  • Exercises
  • Education 
  • Reassurance 
  • Advice to remain active and improve overall health 
  • Hands-on therapy
  • Cognitive behavioural strategies
  • Workplace modifications
  • Strategies to manage stress

Your Physiotherapist will also liaise with any health professionals currently giving you treatment and, where appropriate, refer you to other professionals as required.

Do you suffer from low back pain? Book an appointment with one of our Physiotherapists! Call us on 9908 1949 or book below. 

>